They were put into two groups and given a different bread mix to measure, mix and knead. Every scout took a part, especially the kneading, when one got tired another took over. Whilst the dough was put in a warm place to rise they cleared up and then made their own butter.
This is easier than you think.
- Take a clean jam jar with a good tight lid and half fill it with ordinary double cream.
- Get the Scouts to shake the jar as hard as possible. We found that 20 seconds was about the limit before handing over the jar.
- Eventually you will have a jar with a lump of butter + butter milk.
- Drain the butter milk off and drink it (it’s very nice by the way).
- Then add a small amount of cold water to the jar and gently rinse the butter.
- Drain again ( don’t drink this one!) And you have unsalted butter!
- You can add salt to taste not forgetting that once it is in you cannot get it out so add a small amount mix and sample.
- Place the butter in the fridge to firm up.
A tasty evening all round.
See more pictures of the night see the photo gallery.Tags: Viking Troop, 1st Malew